Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Streaky Day 16.

Very interesting run this morning.

Noah woke up around 5:30....this is beginning to become a habit, I have a feeling I just need to get used to being up everyday at 5am.  He started acting really sleepy by about 7am so we were sitting on the couch and I was rubbing his head and just snuggling on the couch and next thing I knew he was asleep.  So I spent a minute just enjoying the moment, it really is a beautiful thing having a child like this. Gently picked him up and off to the crib.

Quickly dashed back to the bedroom and changed into my running clothes and headed down to the treadmill.  Run started off like any other treadmill run, Top Gear (British version) on the telly and me jogging about about an 8:13 pace.  Just a small bit before 1.5 miles into the run (1.4 to be exact) I came to realization that I really had to wee.  (I know, I know too much info)...Not thinking I stopped the treadmill and disconnected the safety stop tag therefore erasing my time from the treadmill.  (DOH!-slaps forehead).  Did my thing, and dashed back onto the treadmill.  Figured I would shoot for another 1.6 to 2 miles.  Minimum in my mind for today was to run 3 miles.

With about .75 mile left till I hit the three mile mark Noah started fussing in his crib.  I knew that I was only a few minutes away from him summoning me to get him.  I would still at some point need a shower and the longer I was downstairs the less likely that was going to happen.  I decided to ramp up the speed as fast as I could for as long as I could hold it to see how close to three miles I could get.  Well my friends I shocked myself.  I set the treadmill at 9mph (6:40mile).  I was able to sustain that for the full 3/4 of a mile!  WHOA!  I felt AWESOME!!!  Granted unless I can duplicate this outside in the real world or in a 5k I am not completely satisfied with it, but I can still be excited right?

So now I have to get out on the roads and pound some pavement at that blistering speed and see if I can repeat this for at least a full mile or more!

Until that time, we are still streaking!!

To all those in the streak who are struggling to find motivation or desire to keep this up for another 22 days, read what Josh had to say today in the Streak Blog.  You can do this, it is 7 to 15 minutes of your day, even at your most tired, most sore, or most exhausted we can all find 15 minutes of our day to squeeze in a little exercise.  Get up 15 minutes earlier, run on your lunch break (sorry Trish you are excluded you have the family sweat gene like me...we would be a mess), run after work, skip the evening tv repeats, or run laps around your house.  Doesn't matter where you do it, how fast or slow you do it, as long as you get that mile in.  Happy running all!

No comments:

Post a Comment