Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A new Challenge.

I have decided to undertake a fun challenge for the next 38 days...well more like 35 now.  (See this article)  Along with my sister Trish, her boyfriend Omar, and a few of their friends, we have embarked on the runner's world RUN-Streak challenge.  Thirty-eight straight days of running at least 1 mile, finally finishing with at least 38 miles in one month.  Seems easy enough right?  I am just going to run my normal schedule and then on my off days or spin days I am going to supplement with a 1 mile running warm up or cool down to keep the streak alive.


These are the rules of the Challenge from my sisters blog about the challenge (feel free to follow along if you like!):


The Rules are simple:
  • Every day between Monday May 28th and Wednesday July 4th you must run at least 1 mile
  • You can run more than 1 mile, but you must run 1 mile every day
  • You cannot skip a day and double up on mileage the following day

Today I didn't have a run scheduled because I work 9-9 so I decided to get up before work and before Noah gets up to go for a run on the treadmill at 5:30am.  Well, needless to say the treadmill is too loud to be used at 5:30am in our house because it woke up Noah and the wife.  So it appears as though I will be pounding the pavement around the neighborhood from now on.  (Sorry Honey!!).  I coasted through a 5 minute warm-up, 14 minute run (1.75 miles-I was DOGGING it...and sleepy), and a 5 minute cool down.

Tomorrow is an off day from work so depending on Noah's naps I am going to try to squeeze in 3 to 5 miles on the treadmill.  

In an effort to motivate my readers who may or may not be runners, I am challenging you for the next 35 days to get up and get moving.  Give me 15 minutes of your day until the 4th of July.  You can run for 15 minutes, walk for 15 minutes, bike for (well maybe a little longer than 15) lets say 30, or do some form of cardio for at least 15 minutes a day.  If you aren't healthy enough to exercise then see a Doctor first, use your brain, don't hurt yourself!!  Substitute something healthy like fruits or veggies for the snack foods during the day and try to avoid the greasy processed foods.  By the 4th of July I bet you will be feeling healthier and looking leaner!  Then when you get to that point we can discuss the next fitdad challenge!    WHO'S WITH ME??!!! WE'RE GOIN STREAKIN!! WOOOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment