Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Monday, May 7, 2012

Marathon Relay Recap

This past Sunday May 6th, was the Pittsburgh Marathon, Half-marathon, and Marathon Relay.  I have done the half-marathon in the past, but this year I decided to do the Relay with some co-workers.  We set out as team Kiss My Aspirin.  We were a mixed bag of male and female and differing levels of running accomplishments.  We estimated our finishing time at approximately 4 hours and set that as our goal.

I was a little disappointed with the relay exchange I was in, they were supposed to be calling out numbers of runners as they approached so that you could get to the front of your corral to present a medal to your teammate.  (That was the way you exchanged the "baton" in the relay by presenting the finishing medal to your teammate).  Instead of hearing the numbers of the approaching runners we just got occasional jumbled numbers from a DJ's speakers that didn't work.

Kristin arrived at our relay point and I didn't even see her, she saw me first, so I ran out of my corral, handed her my long sleeve t-shirt, and presented her with her medal.  I ran out into the crowd of runners and merged in, only to hear HEY RON!  I turned to see Kristin's husband Mark there.  He had run with Kristin when he caught up with her after her initial relay exchange.  I ran with Mark for most of the way down Carson st. until the Half and Full marathon split.  Mark was off to finish the half and I had about 5 miles till my finish line in Shadyside.

I was feeling really good coming across the Birmingham bridge and hung a right on to the first of a series of hills on the way to my finish line in Shadyside.  The hill into Oakland was honestly pretty rough, I had done most of my training for this race on the treadmill while Noah was sleeping upstairs.  Once I got to the top of the hill I was able to set back into my rhythm and was feeling good, but a little hot.  The sun at this point was pretty brutal and there wasn't much respite in the shadeless city.  (At this point all I could think was, I am so glad I am not running the full marathon).  I hit the water station and grabbed a gatorade pulled off to the side and gulped it down because I struggle to run and drink at the same time.  Hopped back into stride and kept on running.  I eventually crossed the 13.1 mark for the marathon and again thought to myself, all these people around me are still only halfway there...this sun is brutal.  I give the full marathoners so much credit for running 26.1 miles at anytime, I can't imagine what Boston was like this year.  At least the temperature early on in Pittsburgh was very cool.

Around Walnut St. in Shadyside I got a second wind, the crowd there was AMAZING!  People lined on both sides of the street, little kids running out to high five you as you passed.  A guy with a bullhorn yelling encouragement.  There were water stations, oranges, beer and vodka shots, and just a very festive atmosphere.  I looked down at my watch and realized that I had about a mile left and was coming up on my ultimate goal time of 50 minutes for the 6.4 miles.  When that time came and went I knew in my head that I still could finish in under 55 minutes if I really pushed myself for the last 3/4 of a mile.

I opened up my stride and just really began to take everything in.  I approached the finish line and was looking for the volunteer holding the sign for my teammates corral.  I immediately saw Sarah's smiling face practically jumping up and down waving from the crowd as I approached. (the DJ here was doing and AMAZING job announcing the race numbers for the relay almost a quarter mile out from the finish so Sarah knew I was coming).  I kicked hard into the finish got my medal and gave Sarah an awkward sweaty high five with the encouragement, this was awesome!! GO GO GO!!!

With that she took off and ran her 6 point some odd miles, handed off to MikeG and he kicked it in to the finish.  Unofficially team Kiss My Aspirin finished in about 3:53 for the full marathon, 7 minutes faster than our goal!  I am so proud of my teammates for taking the time to train and run this awesome event!

I was really inspired this year during the event with how well put together Pittsburgh's Marathon really is.  The overall atmosphere, community involvement, and structure of the water stations is world class.  Aside from the hiccup in the start corral for me it was overall and AMAZING day.  I plan on trying to train for the half marathon next year and will shoot for a goal of sub 2 hours, a very realistic goal based on where I am in my running now.

If you are ever available on the first Sunday of May some year and find yourself in Pittsburgh YOU NEED to be in the city to run, walk, or spectate for this event!!

No comments:

Post a Comment