Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Time Flies.

     It's amazing to me how quickly times goes by, and I mean in general not just since we had Noah.  We are rapidly approaching my 2 favorite holidays, Thanksgiving (eating, and family) and Christmas(eating, family, presents).  We are also rapidly approaching a milestone day for Noah as well, he will be 3 months old in 8 days.

As a first time parent I sometimes just observe in awe as he develops and changes almost by the hour.  A month ago he could only hold his head up for a few seconds before he would get tired and frustrated and drop his head to the floor.  He can now hold his head up for as long as you will let him lay on his belly.  He is beginning to "superman" when we lay him on his stomach.  He definitely recognizes our voices as well.  I came into the room the other day and he immediately spun his head around to find me, and smiled.  Of course I take second fiddle to mom, if she walks in the room he gets all goo goo eyed and so does she.  Watching Noah on his play mat on the floor as he lays on his back kicking and smiling smacking his little hands off the noise makers hanging overhead.  He sees himself in his little mirror and he smiles back and sometimes yells things out like he is trying to get his own attention (of course he has no self awareness yet).  He is quite the verbal little dude, most days I can sit him on my legs facing me and we will "talk" for long periods.  He yells out something and I respond in kind, he smiles, coo's and yells some other random sound.  I repeat my sound and we continue this process until he gets bored.  It's really fun and I am beginning to get pretty creative with my stories when I interpret what he is "saying."  You can almost see the little neurons and pathways in his brain developing and "connecting the dots."


Christine is an OT, and she has charts for baby/newborn development.  Charts for milestones and everything else under the sun.  I occasionally glance over them to make sure that Noah is developing on schedule.  He is, as much as I would like to believe that he is exceptional, he's not...he's right on track and that is perfect in my book.

Being a first time father of a 3 month old is finally becoming alot of fun.  The first few weeks to months are mostly stressful with little reward other than the satisfaction that comes from knowing you have a child.  As the baby begins to develop though, as you see the changes in the child and the child recognizes you then it becomes an otherworldly experience.  I have been told (and I am) treasuring this time, taking it all in as much as possible because the rumor on the street it that once he becomes mobile life gets crazy again.  Until then I am just going to enjoy this time, enjoy my son, and enjoy the sleep we are getting now that he is going 8-10 hours a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment