Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The 25 and 25.

I must apologize in advance for the lack of blog posts in the last few weeks, things have been hectic at work and at home so I have been lacking time to write.

If you are a regular reader of the blog you know that I have definitely plateaued in my weight loss since Noah was born.  Whether it was an actual plateau or a result of cheating and less exercising I am not sure.  I have been very diligent with the plan the last month and still no weight loss.  The week before Thanksgiving I decided to try a change-up in my workouts.  I had been trying to get 3 or 4 thirty minute workouts in each week.  Due to my work schedule and my daddy time with Noah (when Christine works).  I was struggling to consistently get those workouts in.  I decided I needed a way to get in similar calorie burning but maybe cut down the number of workouts per week to 2 or 3 instead of 3 or 4.

I have been rotating my workouts between cycling and running since I would like to try to do a Sprint and or Olympic Triathlon next year.  I get bored very easily on the bike trainer and the treadmill, I would so much rather be outside.  But, since I am home alone with Noah one to two days a week it's not good parenting to leave the house while he is napping.  So I am relegated to the confines of the game room and the indoor workout.

In an effort to quell my boredom I decided to try a workout that I call the 25 and 25.  I put Noah down in his crib for his morning nap (about 2 hours usually).  I grab the baby monitor and head downstairs for my workout.  I usually start off on the bike for 5 minutes at a really light pace and resistance to get my blood flowing.  Then I shift to a higher gear and ramp up the intensity.  I ride for 25 minutes at varying intensity adjusting my cadence as my legs begin to burn.  As soon as I finish the 25 minute pedaling session, I immediately swap my cycling shoes for my running shoes, hop onto the treadmill and begin to run.  I usually crank the speed up on the treadmill to 7 or 7.5mph and adjust the speed and incline during the run as my legs fatigue.  I will occasionally ramp up the speed to as high as 8mph or higher if I am feeling really good.  After my 25 minutes on the treadmill (about 2.75-3 miles) I cool down walking for 5 minutes.  That gives me a 1 hour workout and usually enough time to run upstairs and shower before the boy wakes up from his nap.    I do this workout a maximum of twice per week, with the 3rd workout day rotating between a run or biking or a bodyweight resistance style workout.

Since starting this plan 2 weeks ago I am back on the weight loss train.  The first week I was able to shed about 0.6lb.  The second week (Thanksgiving) I was able to shed an additional 0.5lb.  I am hoping this trend continues as we head into the holiday party season.  Making sure that I watch what I eat during the holiday parties is going to be a real challenge...

Thanks for reading, check back later there may be a second post today because I was camera happy with Noah yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment