Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Friday, November 4, 2011

longest ride yet.

In keeping with my workout routine, I sometimes feel like I have to make up for missed exercise days with an extended workout.  I haven't been on the bike in about a week and was feeling the itch to really get out and ride.  I gave my friend Mark a call and he was definitely in for a longer ride since we skipped our last ride for pancakes and time with our wives and kids.

I have been under the weather the last 4 or 5 days with a mild chest cold so I was curious as to how my lungs would hold up.  I must say that there is nothing that will make you feel better with a chest cold than fresh air and a 20 mile bike ride.  Yes, 20 miles.  This is my longest ride to date this year.  We headed out to the Montour trail at Logan Road and road well into Peters Township.  10 miles out and 10 miles back, total time with 1 stop for pictures and a snack 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Not too shabby if you ask me.  The sun was shining and the temperature was just right to prevent us from overheating.  If you haven't been to the Montour trail in the Bethel or Peters Township area I highly recommend it, the scenery is just amazing.



The ride gave me an additional 24 points to use during this week on the weight watchers program.  I am going to try to avoid using all 24 points because I am trying to get out of this weight loss slump I am in.  I made sure to snack on a fiber one bar while we were riding and got plenty of water.  Afterwards I had a low fat turkey burger (high protein) on a bagel thin and a bowl of Campbell's select beef barley (light) soup.   I also had a glass of skim milk right away to help get my muscles healing before I jumped in the shower.

Dinner last night was a spinach and tomato salad with light ranch and some leftover low fat turkey sausage with roasted peppers, onion, and garlic.

I don't know if it is the cold I am fighting or just the quality of protein I was eating yesterday but I feel very satisfied after those meals.  Maybe I will have to try them out again when my system is firing on all cylinders.


No comments:

Post a Comment