Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Saturday, September 24, 2011

weighty issue.

I have a weight issue, and it's not my waistline I am concerned about.  Noah wasn't gaining weight fast enough for our pediatrician.  We were a little shocked and horrified because we really felt like we had done something wrong.  We felt like we hadn't done enough to take care of our son, how could we do this??!  We must be terrible parents.

Then I talked to a few friends and they had the same problem.  I talked to a few older friends and they had the same problem.  Our pediatrician told us this is one of the most common issues they have with new parents.  Especially with parents who are breastfeeding their children.  We did the lactation consultations, we went to all the appointments, and we did everything we thought we were supposed to do.

Our baby never showed signs of serious hunger.  He was relatively calm, rarely fussy, and when he was hungry he usually let us know.  What we didn't know was that he wasn't eating enough.  He was satisfied, but he wasn't full.  He needed a higher caloric intake to gain weight than he was getting.

We took this very personally and very seriously.  The last thing we want to do is anything to jeopardize his health or well being.  I lost some sleep over this (but not any weight...).  We began supplementing his feedings with additional formula or pumped milk.  We woke him during the day to feed a few extra times a day.  We slept less and fed more.

We returned to the Pediatricians office 2 days later and he had gained 6 ounces.  They were pleased, we were tickled.  We are continuing the supplementing through the weekend and return Monday for one more weight check.  (As of this morning he has put on almost a pound in a week).

Our baby boy is happy, full, and filling diapers at a record rate.  I just want any first time parents out there to be aware that you are not alone.  This kind of thing happens to alot of people.  It's frightening, and you feel like you did something wrong.  You feel like you did an injustice by your child.  You stress and you lose sleep, and nothing I or anyone else says will change that.  But you can fix the problem relatively easily and get that kiddo back on track.

We are big fans of Enfamil Gentle-ease Formula now.  It doesn't bother Noah's stomach like the other newborn formulas.  He still takes breast milk without much trouble...unless he is really hungry after waking up then you just have to give him bottle first because the breast milk takes some work.  We haven't had any issues with nipple confusion...but occasionally with nipple refusion?  (is that a word? it is now!)  Noah is plumping up well now.

Now if only I could get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment