Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Monday, September 12, 2011

A New Beginning.

After 85 posts at the old blog I decided it was time for a change, time to rename, refocus, and start over.  I made the decision to start losing weight and get back in shape on Sunday January 16th, 2011.  Since then I have lost over 35lbs through a combination of eating better (weightwatchers for men) and regular exercise.  When we found out we were having a baby it was time to decide whether I wanted to continue down a self destructive path of eating, drinking, and sedentary lifestyle or to start over.  I chose the latter, and am happy that I chose this path.  I have been under 200lbs for a few weeks now but have not been losing much weight in the past month.  I would say the blame mostly falls on all the nice people bringing us food so that we don't have to cook since Noah has been born. 

When the baby was born I spent the first 2 weeks or so just adjusting and getting my life back into order.  Life will never be the same (in a good way!) with this little bugger in the house and adjusting my workouts to fit around his schedule is going to be difficult.  Add to that the level of exhaustion that we feel from long nights and interruption to our normal sleep schedule that a baby brings and you have a recipe for disaster.  I don't really see it that way though because I look at the workouts now as a chance to get out and get fit.  To be ready for when Noah is able to run around the house and play.  I am going to need all the energy I can get.  I could either be the FAT DAD...or I could be the FIT DAD.  I am choosing to be the Fit Dad.  I hope you enjoy this journey as I continue to try to lose these last 25-30 stubborn pounds and as I grow as a first time father.  There is going to be frustration, fear, joy, and laughter in this journey and I hope that you get some laughs and maybe a few tears from reading the blog.  Thanks for being here and thanks for taking the time to read.

Me in High School: (about 130-140lbs)
Me at 30 and close to 235lbs. (notice the gut...and larger than normal double chin)

Me at the present with my adorable (I know I am biased) Son Noah 8 days after he was born 8/25/11 (notice the lack of round face and double chin at 199lbs)

(ps if you like the picture of the son and I you should see the rest of the work from our photographer she is amazing (very busy, but quite talented)  www.weddingsbyheather.com

Have you decided to be a fit dad instead of a fat dad?  I would love to hear from anyone out there who can help with insight or guidance to help me along.

No comments:

Post a Comment