Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Monday, September 12, 2011

Getting in those workouts.

I am not a selfish person by nature.  I guess no one really thinks they are selfish, but you don't realize you are until you have children.  Before Noah came along I loved my "me" time, my get away from everything time.  I could go for a run, grab the bike and ride, or head out fishing and the only person I had to o.k. it with was the warden (aka the wife).  With her blessing I could could "get away" whenever I needed it without feeling guilty.  Then along came Noah, you see babies are very needy, they can't feed, bathe, or survive for that matter without us.  So when you have "free time"  you usually spend most of it sleeping because you don't get much of that as a parent either.  The battle for me is finding the time and the energy to sneak in workouts in between the diaper changes, the naps, and then also finding time to take the baby for a few hours so the wife can get out of the house.

**Important fitdadorfatdad note to expectant fathers make sure when the baby is born that you take care of your wife as much as you can.  Make sure her sanity stays intact.  Give her a spa day occasionally, give her some cash and send her shopping, tell her to take a lunch date with her girlfriends.  Just get her out of the house.  If your situation is anything like mine, if the wife is happy she is much more willing to let me leave for an hour or two to jump on the bike and ride, or spend a half hour to hour out on a run.**

Add to that the cuteness tractor beam your son/daughter has on your heart and that just adds to the difficulty to leaving the house the first few weeks after the baby is born.  Noah definitely has the ability to convince me that a workout isn't necessary today and that I should just spend the afternoon holding him on the couch while he sleeps or just stares into space.


All that aside the best advice I can give new parents to finding a time to workout is to plan ahead (not as easy as it sounds).  Pre-Noah I would get up daily before work at around 5:50am and workout for 30-60minutes.  Post-Noah I "plan" my workouts for my days off from work when Noah takes naps.  Christine usually sleeps during the day when Noah sleeps so I usually just coordinate a workout with Noah when he decides to sleep.  Most of my workouts recently have revolved around treadmill or bike trainer rides in the game room while I catch up on the DVR.  As he sleeps more during the evening and our schedules somewhat regain some of their normalcy I will adjust them accordingly.  I have also been on a quest to find a good kettleball and do some kettleball workouts in the evening as well.  Suggestions for quick muscle blasting workouts would be appreciated.

You have to find what will work best with your schedule as well as with your wife and child.  Don't be selfish, this isn't about you anymore.  No matter how hard you try your life now revolves around that child.   My fitness is very important to me, but it will never get in the way of properly raising my child.  I want to be able to raise him to enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle.  The only way I will be able to do that will be to find a balance between  my "selfishness" and family.  I hope it won't be too hard.

Thanks for reading! Please share the link to the blog if you think that a friend or two would enjoy this!
-Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment