Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Finding the Rhythm

There is a rhythm to our day to day lives.  When that rhythm goes away or gets disturbed it usually throws most of us into a tailspin or causes undo stress.  The same can be said for our workouts.

Cycling and running have a certain rhythm that once achieved really seems to help the miles melt away.  One of the things that has been missing since Noah has been born was my ability to get outside and run.  90% or more of my miles have been on a treadmill or indoor cycle trainer.  Not that I am complaining, I love my days off with Noah but sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders to get you back in rhythm.

Christine was out shopping with her mother this past Friday, and I had a half day at work so afterwards I headed out to a nice stretch of the montour trail in Bethel Park to log some 55 degree winter weather miles.  I set out at a nice clip...looked down at my watch and realized I was over cooking it at about a 6:45 mile pace.  YIKES!  I haven't held a pace like that since my Cross Country days in high school!  Once I settled into my stride though I was able to consistently maintain about a 8:30 mile pace.  This part of the trail isn't particularly hilly or steep but the first mile is a constant low percentage grade.  I crossed the 1 mile mark at about 7:50 into my run, I wanted to back down a bit to make sure I had the energy to complete my goal of 4 faster miles.

Around the 2 mile mark I really found my rhythm, the beat of the music, the wind, the patter of my shoes on the soft limestone trail and I was cruising along.  There was very little traffic on the trail, and before I knew it I had reached my starting point again.  I finished strong and stretched out.

4.11 Miles, 34:31.

Not too shabby for a guy who was running 10+ minute miles a year ago.

I felt like I could have (and should have) gone another one or two miles at that pace but I really wanted to get home and see my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment