Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's been a whole year.

It just dawned on me during my weigh in on Sunday that I have been doing Weight Watchers for men for a full year now.

I began that journey on January 9th, 2011 here with a different blog.  I started weight watchers at a hefty 235lbs and close to a 40" waist, I was headed down a path of obesity and self destruction.  Ok, maybe destruction is a strong word but theoretically that was possible if I continued down that path.  Those first few months were really difficult for me.  Adjusting to a life of less food, more exercise, and less scotch and beer was awful.

On my 1 year weigh in anniversary January 8th, 2012 I weighed in at an exciting 195.8lbs.  In my head my goal was to lose 50lbs in one year. That would have put me at a healthy weight loss of just under a pound a week.  I am at 39.2lbs lost for the year, and couldn't be more excited.  The weight loss is very noticeable now.  I had a friend who hasn't seen me over 3 months say, "where did you go?"  I laughed and took that as a huge compliment!

This was me before I started weight watchers:






I now fit in almost 34" waist jeans, I was able to put on jeans the other day that I haven't worn in years.

I am now no longer ashamed of my gut hanging over my belt and will tuck in shirts again.  (Now I look less sloppy).


This is me now:






(I really need to get some more full body pictures of myself, but its tough because I am always the guy behind the lens).

I definitely look drastically different in the face, and although the picture of me with Noah is from when he is 5 days old, I have only lost about 6 or 7 lbs since then.

I am regaining my confidence, and with the added weight loss my workouts supercharge my days.

I am faster.

I am leaner.

I am happier.

I am healthier.

I am stronger.

I am better now than I was before, and I will be even better this year.

I will be able to keep up with Noah when he starts walking and running.

I sleep better.

My joints don't hurt when I run anymore.

My feet don't hurt after work anymore.

My clothes fit like they are supposed to.

My wedding ring doesn't fit because my fingers got skinnier...(WTH, I had fat fingers?!!)

I bought a bike, I ride alot.

I run, ALOT.

As my next challenge to myself I also joined the Shirt Off Swimsuit Challenge , you can join their facebook page.  It is run by a rather inspirational person as well.  Brad L.  I met Brad when I first started running again at a Fleet Feet Couch to 5K program.  Brad is a marathoner (and longer distances), cyclist, and all around pretty fit guy these days.  Challenge yourself to be ready for the beach this summer and join his facebook group.  I don't know if I will ever be posting pictures of myself with my shirt off...but I will be ready for the beach this summer, will you?

Also, as a side note if you need some humorous and charming gems to read you should check out my little sisters blog as well...Click here, here, or here.  It will take you to her page.



No comments:

Post a Comment