Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Killer Brick workout.

I had a day off from work yesterday, and my mom graciously came over and watched Noah for a few hours so that I could sneak away and get a ride and run in.  (Thanks Mom!)

I met Mark in our usual parking lot in South Park and was already dreading the insane level of heat and humidity for 10am in Pittsburgh.  (It was 76 and the humidity was actually causing my sunglasses to fog when I got out of the car).

We commenced warming up our legs cruising up and down Corrigan drive (2 miles end to end), followed by a large hill and out on to the local streets.  We rode for a little over an hour (1:05) and covered about 15.5 miles.  We had a few steep hills thrown in for good measure and I can honestly say that I probably would have hopped off (gasp! cardinal sin! I know) and walked had it not been for Mark barking at me from behind.  Once he could see that I would make the top of the hill he would find another level or stamina, mash the pedals and wait for me at the top.

Upon completion of the bike we took a minute to rehydrate and change out of our cycling gear and then went for a leisurely run.  We covered 2 miles in about seventeen and a half minutes.

For me the worst part of the brick workout is the beginning of the run after hopping off the bike.  I don't know if its a lack of blood flow to the muscles necessary for running or maybe a little dehydration but my calves always bark back at me.  Usually the seize up about 10 strides into the run forcing me to pull over and stretch them out.  Once I have that moment to stretch though they feel wonderful after that.

I came home to a happy baby boy and a pleased mother who got some quality time with her grandson!   I proceeded to feed Noah some lunch as he is now on soft solid foods.  The kid loves mandarin oranges, elbow mac, cheese, yogurt, and his corn crunchies.  It's such a joy to watch him feed himself because you can see the level of pride he gets from doing it himself.  He looks to me or Christine everytime he feeds himself for appreciation and it's adorable every time.  We are slowly adding more and more foods for him to try so that we can keep his menu as diverse as possible.

After Noah had lunch I whipped up some turkey burgers with light cheese, spinach and tomatoes on whole wheat buns for my mother and I.  It was a protein packed healthy lunch that really hit the spot after my intense workout.  We had a side of sweet potato chips with sea salt to add a little crunch to the meal as well.

I also owe the blog an 11 month update which I will post soon.  Noah hit 11 months last week and I have taken the pictures, but haven't had enough free time to develop the photos on lightroom.

Today was definitely a killer workout, and I am feeling it in my quads, calves, and hips but already looking forward to the next day I can get out on my bike.

Get out there and get fit, make the little changes you need to daily to improve your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment