Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Friday, December 7, 2012

Velocitoddler

I am sure many people my age have seen the movie Jurassic Park.  While I can usually pull funny movie quotes from thin air, movies like Jurassic Park usually are not immediately quotable.  Christine and I set up the Christmas decorations the other day and we wanted to try to prevent Noah the Destroyer from pulling all the ornaments off the tree...or worse pulling the tree down on himself.

To prevent that we set up our tree and then put up a portable play-yard around the outside of the tree.  While not the most beautiful setup, it has been moderately effective at keeping the tree upright and the ornaments in one piece.

This brings me back to my Jurassic Park reference.  In the movie when they first learn about them breeding Velociraptors the conversation turns to the reptiles intelligence and their ability to problem solve.

Dr. Alan Grant: [about the velociraptors] What kind of metabolism do they have? What's their growth rate?
Muldoon:  They're lethal at eight months, and I do mean lethal.  I've hunted most things that can hunt you, but the way these things move
Dr. Alan Grant: Fast for a biped?
Muldoon: Cheetah speed. Fifty, sixty miles an hour if they ever got out in the open, and they're astonishing jumpers...
John Hammond: yes, yes, yes. That's why we're taking extreme precautions.
Dr. Alan Grant: Do they show intelligence? With their brain cavity...
Muldoon they show extreme intelligence, even problem solving intelligence.  Especially the big one.  We bred eight originally, but when she came in she took over the pride and killed all but two of the others.  That one...when she looks at you, you can see she's working things out.  That's why we have to feed them like this.  She had them all attacking the fences when the feeders came.
Dr. Ellie Sattler: But the fences they are electrified though, right?
Muldoon: That's right, but they never attack the same place twice.  They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically.  They remember.

Watching Noah "attack" the gate daily trying to find the weak spots makes me think my son is part velociraptor.  He systematically pushes, presses, and pulls at different spots of the gate each day trying to get to the ornaments.  He has found weak points in the setup and regularly exploits them to sneak behind the tree  or get in close enough to the hallmark ornaments that he can activate with a push button.

I really can't help but laugh when he does it because it's probably our fault that he wants to get to the tree.  He obviously probably realizes that he can't have what is behind the gate so therefore he will do everything he can to get behind the gate.

We are really getting excited to share our first real Christmas with Noah, sure last year was the first but this year will be the first year he will probably get excited about some of the presents.

Christmas at the Zoo:



No comments:

Post a Comment