Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Brooks Ghost 5 Review.

I have been running in Brooks running shoes now for a few years now.  When I first started running I was in Saucony Rides, but then Saucony changed the shape or the shoe and it no longer fit me comfortably so I desperately went searching for a new ride...and I was introduced to the Brooks Ghost 3.   

I am a neutral runner with a midfoot strike, I prefer trainers with nice cushion but also a nice balance of light weight and snappy response.  I have run in all sorts of shoes in my time, racing flats, barefoot shoes, neutral trainers, cross country spikes, and also a mix of cross trainers.  I prefer a standard running trainer for my day to day runs because the cushioning and comfort are perfect for me.  

Normally I don't wait this long to review a new shoe but for this time around I thought to myself, how can I legitimately evaluate the quality of a shoe if I run in it only once or twice?  Sure I am behind the times and by the time you probably see this I am sure Brooks will be preparing to release the Ghost 6...but I digress.  

I found running bliss when I first ran in a pair of Ghost 3's about a year and a half ago.  They were the perfect balance of lightness, cushion, good looks, and solid wear.   Those shoes lasted me well over the 300-400 miles I usually put on shoes.   

Upon unboxing the shoe for the first time I can tell you that I love the new look of the shoe.  It has a slightly fatter midsole so it definitely provides a nice soft strike even for midfoot strikers like myself.  I love the colors of the shoes, I was never a flashy running shoe guy but I think I am now.  Upon picking up the shoe for the first time and comparing it to my Ghost 3's there is a palpable difference in weight.  The upper on the Ghost 5 has a much thinner and lighter appearance without appearing cheaper.  The quality of construction in the shoe is top notch my friends.  



The next step was to try them on, and like I expected and hoped, they fit just like the pair of Ghost 3's I had before.  It was a familiar feel except for the new fatter and more cushioned tongue in the shoe.  I can't say I totally love that new feature, I thought the thin light weight tongue in the 3's was fine, this fatter tongue does put a little more pressure on the top of my foot.  

Since purchasing the shoe I have put in the neighborhood of about 200 miles on them.  A solid mix of road and treadmill running.  The shoes still look new, there are no loose threads and the soles have barely worn at all.  The cushioning still feels as good as it did the day I purchased them and I can now see why Runners World magazine has rated this shoe one of their favorites for the past 3 years.  



These shoes have a pretty aggressive tread pattern for a simple road shoe.  They can hold their own on dry trails and even through some slicker spots without losing traction.  They are definitely a versatile piece of running gear.    The new thicker sole is like butter on the road and the light weight (for a trainer) is definitely appreciated on those longer run days.  I don't notice any issues with running form due to the weight of the shoe towards the end of longer runs.  I have with heavier shoes in the past that as I fatigue my form would break down, so either I am in much better shape or the shoe is making a difference.  The sole on this shoe is also very flexible so you don't really notice it much as you run which is definitely a plus.  

The upper of the shoe is definitely more airy than the Ghost 3's I previously ran in.  The ventilation is very good and even on 90 degree days in the sun my feet never had hot spots or blisters on longer runs.  The heel cup in the upper holds your feet well and prevents rubbing and hot spots as well.  I still don't love the tongue of the shoe being so much fatter than it was before, but it isn't a hindrance to my running just different than my last pair. 

In my opinion this is one of the better neutral trainers on the market today.  On the plus side this shoe is lightweight, well ventilated, and comfortable.  The ride is smooth and the sole is snappy and durable.  The shoe has a comfortable and large impact zone for midfoot strikers and adequate space in the heel cup to prevent the foot from sliding up and down too much.  On the negative side the tongue is a little too fat for my tastes, the shoe is heavy compared to racing flats or free running shoes so for shorter races I may opt to run in something lighter.  The shoe is also a little wide, but for me that is good because I need a wide toe box and narrow heal.  I would think that those with narrow feet may notice a little extra wiggle room in these shoes.   All in all I would rate these shoes as excellent for many people like me who run mid to moderate distance.  



If you aren't sure about sizing or fit for shoes, or what your running style is I highly recommend you go to Fleet Feet Pittsburgh near South Hills Village Mall.  See any of the sales staff there for help in finding the right shoe for you.  (note: I do not receive any money for this recommendation, this is my opinion.  I love these guys and gals at Fleet Feet they are honest, fair, and locally owned.  Supporting local business is important to me so I wanted to make sure they guys got some positive publicity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment