Follow along through the challenges of fatherhood and fitness

Follow me as I grow as a father, continue to improve my fitness, and hopefully continue losing weight towards my goal of 60lbs (10lbs to go! 8.25.12).

I never set out to be overweight but I love beer, wine, scotch, and all sorts of terrible food. I didn't choose to get out of shape it just sort of happened. All that changed when I found out my wife was pregnant in December 2010. I decided it was time to set myself up to be a fitdad not a fatdad.

No one ever said it would be easy though. Dealing with a newborn and trying to continue exercising as well as being there for my wife as her husband and friend. As our son gets older and our family grows what impact will that have on my fitness and diet? Stay tuned to find out! Subscribe via email, or add me to your reader. Please make sure to share on twitter, facebook, or follow along by adding your email to my list.

Do you have a diet or exercise product you would like reviewed in the blog, please contact me at fitdadorfatdad@gmail.com

Friday, February 10, 2012

Live one day...

(I'm sure this blog has been done 1000 times before 1000 different ways, but bear with me here...it's new to me.)

What if you were to live one day like an infant?

Every experience was new.

Every sound was unique.

Every object was exciting.

Every person was someone new to smile with.

Every meal was a new experience.

Even the most simple task was monumental when it was completed.

Watching Noah grow the past few months has been an amazing and life defining experience.  As we sit on the floor and we read books or play with his toys all I can think of is what must it be like to be in that brain.  When every silly sound is funny, every book is new, every toy brings him joy.  I can't begin to wrap my own overwhelmed and taxed brain around that.

He wakes up in the morning and lays in bed and "talks" to himself, sometimes to the point of laughter.  Then when we come into his room and turn on the lights he is so excited to see us, it's as if he hasn't seen us in months.  The arms start going, the face lights up with a smile, the legs start kicking.

Noah shakes with excitement when the remote control lights up.  He smiles and laughs when I make mouth noises that would otherwise annoy most people.  He sees a light turn on and he is shocked.  He sees other children and is enamored with them.  He sees his reflection in the mirror and smiles...then when he sees the smile returned in the mirror he smiles bigger.  He is becoming more aware of his environment everyday.  He can hear us coming down the hallway before he sees us, he turns and waits until we get close then bursts into a smile.

I am in awe of this little man most days, he has grounded me in ways I didn't think possible.  He inspires me everyday.

I wish sometimes I could hit a reset button on my brain for a day an just see things like a child again...unpolluted, unfettered, free again.

For one day I wish I could think like an infant...see the world through his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment